Greenbits and Oregon
Dispensary Laws

Greenbits is your complete cannabis retail platform. Ringing nearly $4 billion in annual sales, we help 22,000 providers across 1,200 locations in 13 states serve millions of customers.
Come be your best with Greenbits.


"Greenbits made it simple. I appreciate that."

Q: How do I file Quarterly Tax Reports for my retail store?

A: Greenbits tracks and reports all the sales of your tracked product when ringing sales on the register. This information is automatically submitted to Metrc for OLCC compliance.

Greenbits also has an exportable report of sales by “quantity sold” and “dollar value received”. This report format maps directly to Oregon’s quarterly tax report.

Q: How do I operate business as usual in light of SB 863?

A: At Greenbits, we care about compliance! To help you stay compliant with SB 863, our system adapted the customer check-in queue. You can now check-in customers without retaining a record of their consumer information.

And in the case where your customer provides written consent to store their information, we have a place for you to upload and retain that record for compliance!

Q: How does Greenbits recognize new tags for prepacks and prerolls of the same bulk flower package?

A: Working directly with Metrc and the OLCC, we developed a fully compliant way to create prerolls and prepacks using the same Metrc package ID. You can do these conversions directly in Greenbits, saving your business both time and money!


Running a retail cannabis business can be taxing if you don’t know what you’re doing. Any small business requires a level of professionalism, but a cannabis business is unique in that the laws of each state, county, and even city differ across the U.S.

Without a consensus, even a seasoned pro in one state will still have to study up on other states, and even once you get the hang of a state’s laws, they can quickly change at any given election. Here’s everything you need to know about operating a compliant cannabis business in Oregon, and the state’s cannabis laws.

Frequently Asked Questions
Cannabis Event Information
Managing Your Business in Oregon

Do I need a license to operate?


Who manages cannabis licenses in Oregon?

The Oregon Health Authority manages licenses for medical marijuana. The Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) manages licenses for recreational marijuana.

How do I get a license in Oregon?

The OLCC is no longer accepting recreational marijuana business license applications, as there’s an oversupply in the state. Prices have plummeted on the wholesale market as low as $50 a pound, so new licenses were suspended on June 15. The decision will be reevaluated in 2019.

Both the OLCC and OHA, which are still accepting medical license applications, have online applications for new licenses.

Submit the online application, confirm your account via email, pay your fees, and provide the required documents (copy of government-issued ID card, information/fingerprints for background check, written statement from local government approving location zoning, business information, etc.).

How much does a license cost?

A medical marijuana license in Oregon costs $4000. This includes a $500 non-refundable application fee and $3500 registration fee. Medical licenses are issued for: Growers, Processors, Dispensaries, Physicians, and Laboratories. The OLCC has six retail business licenses: Producer, Processor, Wholesale, Laboratory, Retail, and Research Certificate. A $250 non-refundable fee is due upon submission. Fees vary depending on the type of business. Producers are $100-5750, while Processors, Wholesalers, Retailers, and Labs pay $4750. A hemp certificate may also be obtained for $500.

The OLCC has a comprehensive business readiness guidebook online with information about worker permits, fire season requirements, pesticides, taxes, OSHA, zoning, insurance, and more. Employees need individual Marijuana Worker permits. Food safety licenses may also be required by any employees who handle edibles.

Are there annual licensing fees?

All the licensing and application fees listed above are annual, which means they must be paid every year.

What license type do I need to service recreational and medical patients?

A retail license is required to service recreational patients. A dispensary or caregiver license is needed to serve medical patients. It is possible to hold both licenses by paying a “medical bump up” fee to the OLCC. However, the medical and recreational dispensaries must be separate buildings (or suites).

When will licenses be issued?

The OLCC is no longer processing new license applications until 2019. It can take up to 21 business days for your application to be processed for a medical license with the OHA.

Will I be able to get a retail license if I already have a dispensary?

Yes. You can obtain a recreational license, but you can’t sell both recreational and medical cannabis from the same location. You’ll need two separate locations. You can, however, grow or produce for both medical and recreational.

What local (county level) permissions will I need to operate?

There are currently 16 counties and 75 cities that ban recreational marijuana businesses that within their jurisdiction. You will need written local approval during the state licensing application process, so you can’t bypass talking to your local government and law enforcement and working with them to get your business started.

Do I need a license to host a cannabis event in Oregon?

There are no specific laws regarding cannabis events in Oregon, and several events have been held since both recreational and medical marijuana was legalized throughout the state.

Throughout July 2015, events were held statewide to give away cannabis. Talk to the local venue where you plan on holding an event to get one started.

Do I need a separate premises license for cannabis events?

The location of your cannabis events determines which license you’ll need to pursue. If you’re attending an event like a High Times Cannabis Cup, you’re actually a vendor at that event.

Holding your own offsite events puts you in a High Times position where you need to file the proper city and county licenses. Work with the venue to ensure this is completed in a timely manner.

Can I get a cannabis event license if I hold a retailer license?

Yes, you can hold more than one license of any type. You can hold events on your premises, host offsite events, or attend offsite events proudly representing your business.

How can I ensure that I remain compliant?

Reading, understanding, and consistently applying Oregon state cannabis regulations is essential. During the application process, your entire organization will be tested on compliance competency.

Also track everything. Record every interaction. Have every dollar, plant, and product tracked from seed to sale. A solid POS that can automatically interface with the state’s tracking system is only the start of what you’ll need to stay compliant.

What security measures am I required to take?

Required cannabis business security measures will cost at least $100,000. Video surveillance, security lighting, transportation and waste disposal processes, platforms, and procedures need to be in place from day one.

Cloud video data storage will be a significant cost for startup businesses. Plan ahead for this.

Can I package and label cannabis in my retail store?

It’s a funny question, because you’ll be labeling all product that enters and exits your retail store. There are no specific regulations about packaging on premises, but cannabis must be already sealed before transport.

Can I sell alcohol or tobacco at my cannabis retail store?

Yes and no. Generally you can’t sell alcohol or tobacco at cannabis dispensaries or cannabis at smoke shops, liquor shops, etc. Terpenes (basically cannabis essential oils) and hemp products have different rules. It’s possible to create cannabis-flavored products that don’t include THC.

Also, tinctures contain alcohol, so even though THC vodka or beer (or even vodka or beer without cannabis) would be passe in Oregon dispensaries, alcohol-based tinctures are allowed.

Can I vertically integrate my cannabis businesses?

You can. So long as you meet the requirements (i.e. different suites for each operation), you can house everything in one building. Each license can be obtained and stacked on each other.

Can I sample or give product away in store?

Public consumption is not allowed, so you cannot sample in store. However, you can give product away. In fact, Oregon is notable for how the state gave products away to celebrate recreational legalization.

What are the operating hours for a retail shop?

Your store can be open anytime between the hours of 7am and 10pm, seven days a week.

Can I have public-facing displays on my storefront?

There are no advertising laws for cannabis in Oregon.

How old does someone need to be to buy cannabis?

18 for medical and 21 for recreational.

What is seed-to-sale reporting and what is required of retailers?

Both medical and recreational cannabis businesses in Oregon are required to report to Oregon’s Cannabis Tracking System (CTS). Oregon’s system of record for the cannabis industry is Franwell’s Metrc POS platform. Your POS should ultimately report directly to Metrc directly to seamlessly remain compliant.

You’ll need to pay Franwell $40 per month per Metrc license and $0.25 to $0.45 for package and plant tags.

Be Your Best With Greenbits

Schedule your personalized demo now to see how we help grow your business.